Medical Students (MD)
Global health has become an inextricable component of medical, public health, and nursing practices. Demand is increasing for health professionals who can function competently in a global marketplace, who have research or service interests in health problems of developing countries, or who wish to address global manpower inequities through training or service.
From on-the-ground courses, clinical rotations, and research to on-campus student activities, VIGH’s global health offerings for medical students introduce students to key topics and concepts in global health including diseases, root causes, and both clinical and community-based interventions appropriate for low-resource settings. Past student projects span over two dozen countries where VIGH has established partnerships and include a broad range of topics in global health, from biomedical sciences and clinical investigation to socio-cultural correlates of health and health care delivery. Participation in global health research and training programs and other directed studies provides students with a foundation for future work as international clinicians, researchers, and public health workers.
Nursing students, in addition to the information below, please refer to VUSN’s global health website.
Explore VIGH’s Global Health Opportunities during Medical School:
- Integrated Science Course (ISC): Global Health Immersion
- Advanced Elective (AE) in Global Health
- Inquiry Program Research Immersion
- Global Health Courses
- Graduate Certificate in Global Health
- Medical School Global Health
- Master of Public Health dual degree (MD-MPH)
- Extracurricular Activities (Student Advisory Council, Case Competition, Global Health Alliance)
- Vanderbilt International Journal Club
- Global Health Opportunities Database
Other Resources for Medical Students (VUnetID login required):
- Global Health Topical Modules
- Pre-departure Travel Modules
- Educational Resources
- Preparing for Departure
- External Scholarships and Fellowships