Graduate Certificate in Global Health
The Vanderbilt Institute for Global Health offers a Graduate Certificate in Global Health for which all Vanderbilt graduate and professional students are eligible.
Global health has become an inextricable component of modern-day medical, public health, and nursing practices. There are increasing demands for health professionals who can function competently in a global marketplace, who have research or service interests in health problems of developing countries, or who wish to address global manpower inequities through training or service. This interdisciplinary graduate-level certificate program in the study of global health is a vital step in initiating and promoting joint training opportunities in global health between various departments and schools at Vanderbilt. Students fulfilling all requirements will be granted a global health certificate at the time of graduation.
- To equip students with analytic and problem-solving skills that can be applied to current and emerging global health challenges.
- To prepare students for internationally-focused careers in academia, government agencies, non-governmental organizations, immigrant health agencies, philanthropic foundations, and industry.
- To help students assess public health challenges within international cultural and socioeconomic contexts.
- To instruct students in the fundamental principles of research, planning, and management methodology in resource-constrained settings.
- To facilitate student synthesis and analysis of global health data from existing and de novo sources.
- To ensure student acquisition of core competencies in global health care and prevention, including the mastery of a basic vocabulary in these disciplines.
All degree-seeking Vanderbilt graduate and professional students as well as students at Meharry Medical College.
Students will be granted a global health certificate at the time of graduation from their respective degree-seeking program if they have successfully completed the requirements stipulated in the document below:
To be considered for the Graduate Certificate in Global Health, complete and submit the form below. Students may initiate the form at any time during their graduate program to track their progress toward the certificates using the “Save and Return Later” feature. The form must be completed and submitted at least two months prior to graduation.
Deadline: approximately two months before your graduation date:
May graduates: March 1
August graduates: June 1
December graduates: October 1
The online application form requires students to provide the following:
- Information on global health coursework, including an unofficial transcript, detailed academic record, or courses report from YES.
- Information on global health field work
- A 1-paragraph bio and headshot
For additional information on the Graduate Certificate in Global Health, please contact:
Laura Edwards, M.P.H. candidate ’14
Graduate Assistant, Vanderbilt Institute for Global Health