The Overall Fellowship for International Research is sponsored by Vanderbilt University School of Medicine and the Department of Pediatrics. It provides support for Vanderbilt University School of Medicine students to gain experience and training in a global health setting.
The Overall Fellowship was established by the Overall family to provide support to Vanderbilt University School of Medicine students engaged in international work, such as a research project, training program, or clinical rotation.
Fellowships are awarded based on the strength of a candidate’s application and proposal. Award amounts vary depending on the project and the number of proposals funded. Funding supports partial travel and living expenses.
The Overall Fellowship is administered by the Vanderbilt Institute for Global Health which oversees the application and selection process and provides guidance and support to recipients prior to and throughout their time abroad.
- Students currently enrolled in the M.D. program at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Students currently enrolled in the M.P.H. program at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Students traveling in fall 2013: September 1, 2013
Students traveling in spring or summer 2014: January 1, 2014
The online application requires students to upload the following documents:
• Current C.V.
• Project proposal describing research questions and/or course or training objectives with a detailed timeline and budget
Please note: Once an online application has been started, you may save your work at any time by selecting the button to “Save and Return Later” at the bottom of each page. You will receive a validation code which you can use to access and edit your application at a later time. Once you have completed and reviewed your responses carefully, select the button to “Submit.” Once submitted, your application cannot be changed or edited.
Examples of previous projects supported by the Overall Fellowship
- Vitamin D deficiency and Bacterial Vaginosis among pregnant women | India
- Pediatric oncology treatment and outcomes | Zambia
- Respiratory Syncytial Virus/Asthma and Dengue in the Northern Argentina | Argentina
- Assessment of the link between filariasis and patients presenting with pulmonary symptoms to an emergency department | Guyana
- Effective development, distribution, and consumption of the GuateNut product | Guatemala
- Stigma associated with HIV-infected individuals | Peru
- Acute Respiratory Infection in hospitalized children in Amman | Jordan
- Literacy and HIV prevention knowledge in Zambézia | Mozambique
- Alternative therapy for pain management in both HIV+ and HIV- patients | South Africa
Marie H. Martin, M. Ed.
Vanderbilt Institute for Global Health