FGH seeks candidates for Care & Treatment Technical Advisor
Position Title: HIV Care & Treatment Technical Advisor
Agency: Friends in Global Health (FGH), Mozambique
Salary Range: Negotiable based on experience
Open Period: Aug 22, 2014 – Sept 6, 2014
Position Duration: Full-time one year contract with opportunity for renewal during the remaining 3 years of the project period
Start Date: immediate
Location: (1) Maputo City & (1) Quelimane, Mozambique
Required Qualifications: Candidate must have a medical degree with 5-10 years of experience in implementation of public health programs and at least 5 years of experience in advisement, coordination, implementation and monitoring of care and treatment programs for HIV/ AIDS, within a developing country context (Mozambique experience preferred). Additional required qualifications include excellent organizational skills with demonstrated ability to manage professional teams and meet various deadlines; experience in supervision, training and mentoring for health workers; ability to construct, interpret and analyze care and treatment indicators; ability to work under pressure while maintaining strong leadership and team efficiency; excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead interdisciplinary teams and navigate a multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity; good analytical and problem solving skills; ability and initiative to share experience and knowledge; ability to mentor health professionals of varying skill levels; as well as the ability and openness to respond positively to different views and criticism of performance and make necessary adjustments. Candidate must also have excellent skills in Word, Excel and Power Point. Candidates must be proficient in Portuguese (both written and oral) and possess intermediate level skills in English. Knowledge of local languages will be considered an asset.
The Vanderbilt University Institute for Global Health (VIGH) and its affiliate Friends in Global Health (FGH) support HIV/AIDS care and treatment programs (HIV adult and pediatric care and treatment, Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission (PMTCT), Counseling and Testing (CT) services, Tuberculosis (TB) program services and exposed child services (CCR)) in 10 rural districts within Zambézia Province (Alto Molócuè, Chinde, Gilé, Ile, Inhassunge, Maganja da Costa, Mopeia, Morrumbala, Namacurra, and Pebane). This support is provided through PEPFAR funding from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Vanderbilt University (VU) established FGH, an NGO in Mozambique, to provide technical assistance and capacity building as well as to facilitate and oversee fiscal and administrative matters in support of the Ministry of Health (MISAU). The program strives to develop and maintain effective and sustainable HIV care and anti-retroviral treatment (ART) programs in conjunction with provincial and district health authorities.
The Care & Treatment Technical Advisor will ensure the quality of pre-ART (care) and ART (treatment) services. This includes, but is not limited to the following components:
- Leading the analysis and identification of solutions to improve retention of HIV+ patients in care and treatment and coordinate innovative strategies within the context of Zambézia;
- Contributing to the improvement of collaborative activities such as the operation of one-stop PMTCT and TB-HIV services in Mozambican Ministry of Health (MOH) health centers supported by FGH;
- Leading ongoing training of MOH health professionals and FGH staff (theoretical and practical on-the-job training) and provision of adequate supervision in accordance with MOH standards;
- Strengthening the diagnosis, care, treatment and clinical/ laboratory follow-up of treatment failure cases (virologic, immunologic, clinical) within health centers supported by FGH;
- Strengthening systems for the provision of post exposure prophylaxis and biosafety at health centers supported by FGH;
- Analyzing care and treatment indicators for targeting priority interventions.
Application: Please submit CV/resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications must reference “Care & Treatment Technical Advisor” in the subject line of the email. Only candidates with the desired profile will be contacted.